Album: Voces8, Choral Tapestry (Signum Classics)
Following their Bach Motets, choral octet Voces8 branch further
afield with A Choral Tapestry, programming devotional material from
across the spectrum.
Thus do they shift from William Byrd's "Vigilate", with its interlocking madrigal lines, and the brisk interweavings of Monteverdi's "Cantate Domino" to the more demotic modern approach of the spiritual "Go Down Moses", arranged by Michael Tippett.
Bruckner's "Os justi" opens matters with a perfect blend of calm contentment and soaring spirit, while Voces8's technical range, taking in as it does blues and jazz, enables them to easily accommodate pieces like the gospel classic "Steal Away", and moving further into the modern age, John Tavener's setting of William Blake.
Download this: Os justi; Vigilate; Cantate Domino; The Lamb
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Arts & Ents blogs
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson pictured in first scenes
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >