John Cleese penned a brilliant response to a letter inquiring about his fan club
"I am afraid I'm much too important to write notes to people like you."
As Monty Python enters its second run of live shows at the O2, a fan has shared the hilarious reply he received from John Cleese when he sent the comic a letter aged 14.
Matt Hyde posted a photo of the letter on Twitter, which sees Cleese writing in mock egotism about his non-existant fan club.
His response was as follows (sic):
I am afraid I'm much too important to write notes to people like you.
Please remember that I am very very very very very very important.
However, there is no John Cleese fan club (despite my importance) because they were all murdered in 1983 by Michael Palins' fan club.
I enclose a photograph to remind you of my importance.
The letter is not dissimilar to one sent by the late Rik Mayall, an expletive-laden mock rant against an autograph request that emerged following his death last month.
Monty Python Live (mostly) is at the O2 until 20 July.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments