Abandoman: Pic 'n' Mixtape, Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh
Thursday 26 August 2010
There are three phrases you need to understand the Irish hip-hop improv duo Abandoman. "I'm like y'know", "I gotta say" and "What can I say?" No need to memorise them, you'll be hearing them a lot. In fact, they feature in every composition the outfit conjures up.
Fifteen minutes in and I'm starting to wonder if I might be wrong in my view that the judges for this year's Hackney Empire New Act of the Year were duped by Abandoman's playing to the gallery, allowing them to steal the award. But no, I was right. There's just one string to the bow; get some details from the audience – the most unusual objects they have in their pockets or what jobs they do – and repeat it back to them in a rap stylee.
Rob Broderick is certainly a forceful frontman, while multi-instrumentalist James Hancox wears a fixed grin throughout, perhaps one of their best gags.
There's no denying that audiences are enjoying this interactive romp, but I'm afraid it left me out in the cold.
To 29 August (0131 556 6550)
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Sir Elton John lashes out at Russia’s anti-gay laws in Moscow show
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >