Lady Garden: Top Secret Gig, Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh
Friday 13 August 2010
Returning for their third Fringe, the all-female sketch sextet Lady Garden (featuring the daughter of Jennifer Saunders and Adrian Edmondson, Beattie Edmondson) offer another mix of the clever and the cursory without achieving the perfect blend of their talents and ideas.
Pick of the crop for this season are such quick capers as a church choir singing "All Things Bright And Beautiful" and discovering, at the line "the Lord God made them all", a Darwinist in their midst. Meanwhile, Maeve Binchy fans are depicted as a vociferous football crowd.
This year, there's more emphasis on the group than chopping and changing dynamics but ironically the group ethic was better last year.
When the group get their teeth into something, such as a parody on burlesque, they shine but even here they leave the final lines of sketches hanging in the ether when they should be using quicker blackouts that would better fit the pace of their show.
To 29 August (except 16) (0131 556 6550)
Arts & Ents blogs
True Detective season 2: Brad Pitt being lined up to replace Matthew McConaughey
The Full Monty to close in West End after one month despite Olivier nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is not bad
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli on why she wants more male nudity in the show
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Britain’s five richest families worth as much as poorest 20 per cent, says Oxfam
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers