The Establishment Club, comedy review
Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill, London
When this reprise of Peter Cook's 1960s satirical club debuted in 2012 it was an underwhelming affair. George Galloway and comedian Terry Alderton topped and tailed the bill that night. They do so again today, but luckily the parallels end there.
Since then the club, backed by Victor Lewis Smith, Keith Allen and Mike O'Brien of Laughing Stock records, has transferred from a Ronnie Scott's soirée to a more intimate afternoon slot in the basement of Bentley's and has stripped back the number of acts.
More crucially the venture has scored the palpable experimental hit they have been looking for. They did it by pairing up Glaswegian-Jewish comedy legend Jerry Sadowitz and “pope of aetheists” Richard Dawkins for a 20 minute q&a.
Initially adopting a Peter Cook persona, Sadowitz introduced Dawkins as Stephen Hawking and then proceeded to 'roast' his 'co-star' with such pressing questions as: “Did god create the holocaust to prove to the Jews he didn't exist?”, “Evolution...but how do you explain Dundonians?” and “Why do Springboks jump?”
Anyone who had a sweepstake on how long it would take before Dawkins would become irritated was disappointed. He was pretty game, even when Sadowitz suggested that scientists merely provided “false answers for problems that don't exist”.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations