Cute-looking bear cubs help push Coke
PETER YORK ON ADS: No 205: COCA-COLA
On a starry night in Snowland, two polar-bear cubs push a Christmas tree uphill, to a soundtrack of amiable little grunts. One slides back downhill, coming to rest at Big Daddy Bear's feet. He is wearing (high on Pooh factor, this) a sort of red collar/scarf affair.
Daddy then pushes the tree uphill with the sheer might of his muzzle, while the cub pushes winsomely at Father's enormous flanks. Behind is a wooded slope, a valley village and a gleaming ring of light in the snow - the bear cave? - all sufficiently detailed to realise the ancient form without looking like pastiche.
When the bears stop for a sort of photocall, the bear-cubs drink Coca- Cola, for all the world as if that is what people do outdoors in Snowland. And when the red Coke logo appears in the top right-hand corner of the screen, it makes a nice, crisp, Italian-flag scheme of things, while the soundtrack renders the Coke theme in a jolly, jingly way.
It's a modest enough achievement - new animation that doesn't show off its technological cleverness, well-timed grunts, and some nice detailing. But it's lovely. And it makes the poor old Pepsi Generation stuff look sadder then ever.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >