My Edinburgh: Josie Long, comedian
Monday 23 August 2010
This year I've done three things differently from any other year I've been at the Fringe:
1. I haven't been reading any reviews, of my show or other shows. I can't believe how much happier my Fringe has been as a result. I was worried that it'd make me feel out of the loop, but I've found that everyone's talking about the same shows as being excellent – like Greg Davies' and Johnny Sweet's.
Sorry to interrupt myself, but I am writing this while walking along and I have just heard a shop playing a bagpipe version of "You're the Voice", the 1980s soft-rock song...
2. I've bought a bike. It's actually better than my real bike at home. I feel like I'm having an affair with a film star. I'm not looking forward to my heavy ugly bike at home – its name is "Town and Around". Stupid home bike. Everywhere is about five minutes by bike and I feel brilliant going from gig to gig on it. Also I have bike oil on my legs the whole time, which I believe makes me look tough.
3. Swimming in the sea. I hadn't done this before because it's insane. Three times so far this month I've been swimming in the chilly sea at Portobello Beach. It's brilliant. It's so bracing that it really de-stresses you as you can barely breathe, let alone worry about your stupid Fringe show. It's like being slapped all over but gently, by the sea.
This year, I am having a good time.
'Josie Long: Be Honourable!', to 29 Aug, Josie Long's 'Monsters of Whimsy', 24 Aug, Just the Tonic at the Caves (0131 556 5375)
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Game of Thrones, season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
Game of Thrones really doesn't want Danny Dyer - EastEnders star rejected three times
Martin Scorsese 'in shock' after death on set of new film Silence
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures