My Edinburgh: Josie Long, comedian
Monday 23 August 2010
This year I've done three things differently from any other year I've been at the Fringe:
1. I haven't been reading any reviews, of my show or other shows. I can't believe how much happier my Fringe has been as a result. I was worried that it'd make me feel out of the loop, but I've found that everyone's talking about the same shows as being excellent – like Greg Davies' and Johnny Sweet's.
Sorry to interrupt myself, but I am writing this while walking along and I have just heard a shop playing a bagpipe version of "You're the Voice", the 1980s soft-rock song...
2. I've bought a bike. It's actually better than my real bike at home. I feel like I'm having an affair with a film star. I'm not looking forward to my heavy ugly bike at home – its name is "Town and Around". Stupid home bike. Everywhere is about five minutes by bike and I feel brilliant going from gig to gig on it. Also I have bike oil on my legs the whole time, which I believe makes me look tough.
3. Swimming in the sea. I hadn't done this before because it's insane. Three times so far this month I've been swimming in the chilly sea at Portobello Beach. It's brilliant. It's so bracing that it really de-stresses you as you can barely breathe, let alone worry about your stupid Fringe show. It's like being slapped all over but gently, by the sea.
This year, I am having a good time.
'Josie Long: Be Honourable!', to 29 Aug, Josie Long's 'Monsters of Whimsy', 24 Aug, Just the Tonic at the Caves (0131 556 5375)
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Jeremy Clarkson to host BBC's Have I Got News For You despite Top Gear exit
Jeremy Clarkson says it 'isn't hard' to create another Top Gear
James May hints Top Gear days are over following Jeremy Clarkson's BBC suspension
Mark Gatiss on playing 'prince of darkness' Peter Mandelson in Channel 4's Coalition
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Council tenant wins right not to be sent to Milton Keynes