My Edinburgh: Josie Long, comedian
Monday 23 August 2010
This year I've done three things differently from any other year I've been at the Fringe:
1. I haven't been reading any reviews, of my show or other shows. I can't believe how much happier my Fringe has been as a result. I was worried that it'd make me feel out of the loop, but I've found that everyone's talking about the same shows as being excellent – like Greg Davies' and Johnny Sweet's.
Sorry to interrupt myself, but I am writing this while walking along and I have just heard a shop playing a bagpipe version of "You're the Voice", the 1980s soft-rock song...
2. I've bought a bike. It's actually better than my real bike at home. I feel like I'm having an affair with a film star. I'm not looking forward to my heavy ugly bike at home – its name is "Town and Around". Stupid home bike. Everywhere is about five minutes by bike and I feel brilliant going from gig to gig on it. Also I have bike oil on my legs the whole time, which I believe makes me look tough.
3. Swimming in the sea. I hadn't done this before because it's insane. Three times so far this month I've been swimming in the chilly sea at Portobello Beach. It's brilliant. It's so bracing that it really de-stresses you as you can barely breathe, let alone worry about your stupid Fringe show. It's like being slapped all over but gently, by the sea.
This year, I am having a good time.
'Josie Long: Be Honourable!', to 29 Aug, Josie Long's 'Monsters of Whimsy', 24 Aug, Just the Tonic at the Caves (0131 556 5375)
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 5 Now diplomacy has failed, boycotting Israel might be the only way we can protect the people of Gaza
Game of Thrones actress begs for 'other princess work' after Myrcella Baratheon part is recast
The Walking Dead season 5 will see deaths of 'favourite characters', hints Andrew Lincoln
Palestinian artists transform smoke-filled Gaza into symbol of resistance
Star Wars 7: Plot details 'leak', with sequel's opening sequence and premise revealed
Big Bang Theory: Filming delayed by contract disputes over actors' pay
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >