FILM / Siamese: Hollywood has a quiet obsession with twins. John Lyttle considers the similarities
Friday 09 July 1993
Sisters (1973) recycles the cut-apart plot, only the surviving twin Margot Kidder (above, right) periodically adopts the homicidal persona of her dead sibling, Dominique, all the better to butcher unsuspecting lovers. Ironically, birthday cakes bring out her worst side. See The Addams Family (1991), where Gomez's old flame turns out to be 'twice the woman' Morticia is.
Frank Henenlotter's Basket Case trilogy (1982) has the last word on the phenomenon, offering the relatively sane Duane (Kevin Van Hententryck) and his grossly deformed and demented brother, Belial. They too are telepathically linked, seeking revenge on the doctors who split up the act, tossing Belial into a rubbish bin. Basket Case II has Duane unable to cope with his isolation and sewing Belial back on to his body.
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people