film: eve's bayou
Saturday 15 August 1998
So she wrote her own script, a delicate, ambiguous tale of a family's turbulent summer, as witnessed by Eve, an imaginative 10-year old.
Lemmons was reluctant to let anyone see her script, but, pushed by her husband, actor Vondie Curtis Hall, she eventually showed it to the studios. They liked it. But people told her she was out of her mind, that no black art film had ever made more than $2.7m - and she wanted a budget of $4m.
Things finally fell into place when Samuel L Jackson saw the screenplay and wanted the role of Louis Baptiste, Eve's philandering father. He also signed on as actor and producer.
Lemmons's screenplay is a gift to other black actresses, such as Lynn Whitfield, Debbi Morgan and Diahann Carroll, who all appear in important roles which the writer/director believes are different to anything that they would usually expect to play.
'Eve's Bayou' is on general release
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
Game of Thrones actress begs for 'other princess work' after Myrcella Baratheon part is recast
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming August 2014
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at role
Palestinian artists transform smoke-filled Gaza into symbol of resistance
Guardians of the Galaxy - review: A superficial and half-hearted Marvel film
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
- < Previous
- Next >