Film: Pick of the week
Thursday 23 May 1996
Ugly, nasty, brutish - and that's just the critics who have sunk their jaws into Larry Clark's grim study of urban disquiet. See it now; there's only a few days of dinner-party mileage left in it.
On general release
Blue in the Face
A sort of antidote to . Whether you catch them separately or as a pair, you can't fail to be charmed and tickled by Paul Auster and Wayne Wang's lightly-toasted slices of Brooklyn life.
On general release
James Bond Season
In the wake of the disappointingly flaccid Goldeneye, here's a rare opportunity to catch early Bond on the big screen. This week, see Dr No, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and From Russia with Love and realise all over again what made the series so special: attitude.
Various screenings until 31 May, NFT, London SE1 (0171-928 3232)
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 4 Amy Winehouse unpublished 2004 interview: ‘Ten years from now I’ll be 30, so I’ll maybe have one baby’
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains