Film: Rushes from the london film festival
Thursday 19 November 1998
Toback cast Downey Jr in Two Girls when getting arrested was just about all he could manage. Unfazed, so Toback told the class, by the prospect of handling Downey Jr, the director nevertheless offered a glimpse of what he'd taken on. Downey, it seems, is extremely self-conscious about what he believes is his huge mouth, a fixation which crops up repeatedly in the film's mirror scene. He then riled his co-star, Heather Graham, by rewriting the bathroom scene to become "the most self-serving opening imaginable".
Toback obviously likes a challenge because, as he recounted, Downey Jr's behaviour on the shoot for Black and White grew yet stranger. Playing a gay man married to Brooke Shields, Downey Jr was required to chat up Mike Tyson (as himself) in a nightclub scene. Tyson decked Downey Jr and then proceeded to flirt with Shields. At this point Toback's improvisatory methods went to Downey Jr's head - the wayward star was spotted apparently masturbating while eyeing up Shields's and Tyson's tete-a-tete.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action