Cultural Life: Joe wright, director
Friday 15 January 2010
The last film I saw was called 'A Prophet' by French director Jacques Audiard. It is one of the best films I've seen in a very long time. I also loved 'The White Ribbon' by Austrian film-maker Michael Haneke.
Actually, I don't really watch TV! I've kind of got out of the habit, so I don't really know what's on. I was definitely not caught up in the 'X Factor' madness. I think it's a disgrace!
Recently, I've really been enjoying reading novels by Ali Smith. In particular, 'The First Person and Other Stories', and also an incredible novel by her called 'The Accidental'.
'Svapnagata' at Sadler's Wells was incredible. It was a festival of Indian music and dance curated by Akram Khan and Nitin Sawhney.
I am listening to a band called Beirut at the moment. It was recommended to me. I really like the gypsy sound they have. I've also been listening to a lot of Anoushka Shankar among a lot of other Indian-style music, which I am very into at the moment.
Joe Wright directed 'The Soloist' which is out on DVD from 1st February 2010
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >