Film: There's some fin in the Greenwich water
Saturday 18 August 2012
The 1975 movie Jaws can be in people's thoughts when they are paddling out to sea on a lilo. But you don't have to go all the way to a holiday resort for a bit of terror. Next month the Thames will have its own in the form of a shark-fin gliding through the water, before a screening of the fully restored blockbuster.
Greenwich Yacht Club will be transformed into Amity Island, the location in Jaws, with its own 1970s-inspired BBQ on the beach and the Jaws theme tune blaring from the towpath. There will be various re-enanctments to do with the film, including a council meeting to discuss closing the beach, as part of the Jameson Cult Film Club's new season of "bringing cult films to life", which are screened across the UK.
'Jaws' at Greenwich Yacht Club, London SE10 on 5 September. Free tickets from facebook.com/jamesoncultfilmclub
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 contestants: Meet Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict