In pictures: 90 years of Walt Disney
The Walt Disney Company is marking its 90th anniversary with a special exhibition in Chicago to showcase some of its most memorable films
Wednesday 16 October 2013
Disney celebrates its 90th anniversary today and to mark the occasion the company is opening an exhibition at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.
The exhibition called Treasures of the Walt Disney Archive will feature nearly 300 artefacts, including props, models and costumes from some of Disney's most famous films. There will also be clips of works by Disney prior to creating Mickey Mouse.
To coincide with the 50th anniversary of Mary Poppins, the exhibition will have behind-the-scenes photos and interviews from the live action musical.
Visitors can take part in the creative process at a mocked up animator's desk where they can learn to draw Disney characters or record sound effects.
The Walt Disney Company was founded on 16 October 1923 by Walt Disney and his brother Roy. Walt signed a deal to produce a series of cartoons called the Alice Comedies, it wasn't until 1928 that the first Mickey Mouse cartoon was released entitled Steamboat Willie.
Nearly a century on Disney has gone on to expand out from just film production, it now has theme parks, cruise holidays and its own channel. On top of that the company now owns George Lucas' Star Wars franchise after buying it last year.
'Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives' will be running until May next year
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >