Rise of the Nonsensical Film Titles: and these people employ screenwriters...?
There’s no clearer indicator of the fact that you’re getting older than moaning about grammatical inconsistencies in pop songs. But thanks to three new or forthcoming films, my entry into grumpy old womanhood has been assured.
Their names, you see, are nonsensical. First up is All You Need Is Kill. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? The movie isn’t even out yet but each time I read its name, a part of me dies. Then there’s Welcome to the Punch. The punch? Whose? What? Finally, there’s Machete Kills, the promotional material for which features a lady firing bullets out of her bra. Citizen Kane it’s not.
If the “s” was in the right place, it would sound like a public-safety film warning of the dangers of sharp-bladed weapons (“Machetes Kill”). Not as exciting, but grammatically correct. I can only imagine that the Hollywood marketing teams have abandoned all hope of film titles making sense and have gone straight for the key search-engine-optimised terms likely to get the most hits online. And I bet those marketing teams are getting younger every day…
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election