Story of the Scene: The Godfather (1972)
Friday 18 July 2008
About 50 minutes into The Godfather, just after the "sleeps with the fishes" scene, Mafia henchmen Clemenza and Rocco get into a car with Paulie. They intend to kill him.
Clemenza, played by the Bronx-born actor Richard S Castellano, claims that they are going to look for "mattresses" (safe houses) and directs Paulie to drive to "309 West 43rd Street". The remarks about cannoli (pastries) that begin and end the scene have become as famous as anything in The Godfather.
The scene where Paulie gets popped begins with Clemenza leaving his house and his wife shouting: "Don't forget the cannoli" – a last-minute dialogue addition from director Francis Ford Coppola. There follows a montage of stock footage of period New York, and then a shot of the car driving in the countryside beyond New York. Clemenza asks to pull over to take "a leak". In the distance pokes the Statue of Liberty.
Three shots are fired by Rocco into Paulie's head. As Rocco gets out the car, Clemenza says: "Leave the gun – take the cannoli." He takes the food as Paulie lies slumped against the steering wheel. Coppola gave all credit to the actor in later years: "Richie improvised the line," he said.
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
They're back, they're big – and they're still spectacularly boringfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let’s see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in the World Cup
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories