The Word On...Ghost Town
Friday 31 October 2008
"The long time in coming leading role of legendary Brit writer/director/actor/ comedian Ricky Gervais, is surprisingly good, free from the shackles of slapstick, decidedly more "com than rom" and with a sweet and charming side that will get even the most cynical enchanted."
- Matt Holmes, www.obsessedwithfilm.com
"'Ghost Town' has inspired casting, a few memorable scenes, and enough laughs for mainstream US audiences to finally get the point of that doughy English guy with the pointy canine teeth and the high-pitched giggle."
Dana Stevens, www.slate.com
"Despite an awkward start, 'Ghost Town' quickly establishes itself as a kooky romantic drama about redemption that trades well on Gervais's winning comedy persona, as well as stretching his acting abilities in an interesting new direction." - Jack Foley www.indielondon. co.uk
"This is more than miscasting. Gervais is amazing at self-deprecating humour, but not so much when it comes to making fun of others and that's what he spends the whole movie ... doing. When he's commenting on a mummy or a dog or the system of health care it's much better than just disliking an older (dead) woman." - Jeff Bayer, www.thescorecardreview.com
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments