MTV Movie Award winners lead with 'Twilight Saga'
Monday 07 June 2010
The Twilight Saga: New Moon took a bite out of the MTV Movie Awards with five golden popcorn prizes, including Best Movie, at the live televised event in Los Angeles, hosted by comedian Aziz Ansari, June 6.
Known for its wild antics and irreverence, the show included send-ups of films and showbiz. The opening featured a skit with a reprise of Tom Cruise's performance as Les Grossman from Tropic Thunder as the show's producer, in a recurring role culminating in a musical number with Jennifer Lopez.
Other ‘Twilight' wins were Best Kiss for Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, Best Female Performance: Kristen Stewart and Best Male: Robert Pattinson who also took the Global Superstar prize. Scenes from The Twilight Saga: Eclipse and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows were also previewed.
Winners were selected from fan's votes for favorites.
Other prizes were presented to:
• Best Breakout Star: Anna Kendrick for Up In the Air
• Best Comedic Performance: Zach Galifianakis for The Hangover
• Best WTF Moment: Ken Jeong for The Hangover
• Best Scared-as-Sh**t Performance: Amanda Seyfried for Jennifer's Body
• Best Badass Star: Rain for Ninja Assassin
The Generation Award, recognizing an iconic actor, was presented to Sandra Bullock by her co-stars Betty White from The Proposal and Bradley Cooper from All About Steve, as well as Scarlett Johansson. It was Bullock's first televised appearance since the Oscars.
Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, stars of the summer film, The Other Guys, were suspended above the stage for the Best Villain Award, won by Tom Felton for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Best Fight went to Beyonce vs. Ali Larter for Obsessed.
Other performances included Christina Aguilera and Katy Perry with Snoop Dog. The star-studded presenters included Zac Efron, Justin Bieber, Samuel L. Jackson, and Tom Cruise (as himself) with Cameron Diaz, who co-stars in the upcoming Knight and Day.
The next MTV award shows include the 27th annual 2010 MTV Video Music Awards happen in Los Angeles this September 12. The 17th 2010 MTV Europe Music Awards take place at the Caja Magica in Madrid, Spain, on November 7.
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict