Being John Malkovich just got easier...actor releases line of gentlemen's beachwear
Alice Jones' Arts Diary
Fancy being John Malkovich? This summer you can dress like him at least, thanks to the actor’s new line of gentlemen’s beachwear.
The collection, made in Italy for his own fashion label, Technobohemian, which he set up in 2010, went on sale at yoox.com this month. In a video on the website, Malkovich reveals how he grew interested in costume design while studying theatre and how he sketches out clothes between takes on movie sets. Among the designs is a printed shirt named “Ibiza 36 Hours”.
“I once saw a TV show on the English who go to Gatwick, get a plane to Ibiza and spend 36 hours in a disco”, says Malkovich. “They’re given just a toothbrush and a change of T-shirt for the weekend. I thought the idea was alarming and entertaining.”
How do his clothes measure up? Says The Independent’s fashion desk: “It’s definitely aimed at the type of man who sees himself as a bit of a dandy – much like Malkovich himself. Flamboyant prints play a large part in his personal wardrobe, so it’s inevitable that his sartorial vision would reflect this.”
But wearing John Malkovich comes at a price: a pair of swimming trunks will set you back £153, a beach bag £256.
Also in the arts diary:
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 First Kiss video: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 3 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 4 Rampaging elephant smashes up house but then 'saves crying baby trapped under debris'
- 5 Ian Wright breaks down in ITV documentary charting his rise to Arsenal and England striker