Cool Runnings voted most heart-warming film off all time
Monday 21 January 2013
Olympic comedy Cool Runnings has been voted the most heart-warming film of all time, in a poll of film fans.
The movie, which starred John Candy and was based on the real-life exploits of the Jamaican bobsled team at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics, won 10% of the vote in the search for the best film to banish the new year blues.
Epic prison drama The Shawshank Redemption was second with 9% of the vote, followed by Forrest Gump which picked up 8%.
The top five was rounded off with Amelie, starring Audrey Tautou as the wide-eyed Parisian waitress, and the teen classic Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Other films in the top 10, put together after a survey of 3,000 people by streaming and DVD rental service LOVEFiLM, include Dirty Dancing, Groundhog Day and the Hollywood classic It's A Wonderful Life.
The company's editor Helen Cowley said: "There's no better way to banish the January blues than by instantly lifting the spirits with a feel-good movie and even Blue Monday is no match for our mood boosting top 10."
The top 10 uplifting films are:
1. Cool Runnings - 10%.
2. The Shawshank Redemption - 9%.
3. Forrest Gump - 8%.
4. Amelie - 7%.
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 6%.
6. Little Miss Sunshine - 5%.
7. Dirty Dancing - 4%.
8. Groundhog Day - 3%.
9. It's A Wonderful Life - 2%.
10. Pretty Woman - 1%.
Other - 45%.
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Kylie Minogue quits The Voice UK
Review: Half of A Yellow Sun
Arts & Ents blogs
David Cameron: 'Jesus invented the Big Society – I'm just continuing God's work'
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 3 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Scientists warn we've hit 'peak beard': The more people grow facial hair, the less attractive it is