Cool Runnings voted most heart-warming film off all time
Monday 21 January 2013
Olympic comedy Cool Runnings has been voted the most heart-warming film of all time, in a poll of film fans.
The movie, which starred John Candy and was based on the real-life exploits of the Jamaican bobsled team at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics, won 10% of the vote in the search for the best film to banish the new year blues.
Epic prison drama The Shawshank Redemption was second with 9% of the vote, followed by Forrest Gump which picked up 8%.
The top five was rounded off with Amelie, starring Audrey Tautou as the wide-eyed Parisian waitress, and the teen classic Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Other films in the top 10, put together after a survey of 3,000 people by streaming and DVD rental service LOVEFiLM, include Dirty Dancing, Groundhog Day and the Hollywood classic It's A Wonderful Life.
The company's editor Helen Cowley said: "There's no better way to banish the January blues than by instantly lifting the spirits with a feel-good movie and even Blue Monday is no match for our mood boosting top 10."
The top 10 uplifting films are:
1. Cool Runnings - 10%.
2. The Shawshank Redemption - 9%.
3. Forrest Gump - 8%.
4. Amelie - 7%.
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 6%.
6. Little Miss Sunshine - 5%.
7. Dirty Dancing - 4%.
8. Groundhog Day - 3%.
9. It's A Wonderful Life - 2%.
10. Pretty Woman - 1%.
Other - 45%.
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love voted Greatest Guitar Riff of all time
Doctor Who lesbian kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Beyonce MTV VMAs feminist performance: Twitter reacts to singer's 'double standard'
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >