Cool Runnings voted most heart-warming film off all time
Monday 21 January 2013
Olympic comedy Cool Runnings has been voted the most heart-warming film of all time, in a poll of film fans.
The movie, which starred John Candy and was based on the real-life exploits of the Jamaican bobsled team at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics, won 10% of the vote in the search for the best film to banish the new year blues.
Epic prison drama The Shawshank Redemption was second with 9% of the vote, followed by Forrest Gump which picked up 8%.
The top five was rounded off with Amelie, starring Audrey Tautou as the wide-eyed Parisian waitress, and the teen classic Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Other films in the top 10, put together after a survey of 3,000 people by streaming and DVD rental service LOVEFiLM, include Dirty Dancing, Groundhog Day and the Hollywood classic It's A Wonderful Life.
The company's editor Helen Cowley said: "There's no better way to banish the January blues than by instantly lifting the spirits with a feel-good movie and even Blue Monday is no match for our mood boosting top 10."
The top 10 uplifting films are:
1. Cool Runnings - 10%.
2. The Shawshank Redemption - 9%.
3. Forrest Gump - 8%.
4. Amelie - 7%.
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 6%.
6. Little Miss Sunshine - 5%.
7. Dirty Dancing - 4%.
8. Groundhog Day - 3%.
9. It's A Wonderful Life - 2%.
10. Pretty Woman - 1%.
Other - 45%.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 2 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 3 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 4 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge?'
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Online toy marathon to launch new film
Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet: Technician quits after social media row with actor's fans
Evian Christ cancels Reading festival appearance after being 'trapped in a cage' at Leeds by staff
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn