Cool Runnings voted most heart-warming film off all time
Monday 21 January 2013
Olympic comedy Cool Runnings has been voted the most heart-warming film of all time, in a poll of film fans.
The movie, which starred John Candy and was based on the real-life exploits of the Jamaican bobsled team at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics, won 10% of the vote in the search for the best film to banish the new year blues.
Epic prison drama The Shawshank Redemption was second with 9% of the vote, followed by Forrest Gump which picked up 8%.
The top five was rounded off with Amelie, starring Audrey Tautou as the wide-eyed Parisian waitress, and the teen classic Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Other films in the top 10, put together after a survey of 3,000 people by streaming and DVD rental service LOVEFiLM, include Dirty Dancing, Groundhog Day and the Hollywood classic It's A Wonderful Life.
The company's editor Helen Cowley said: "There's no better way to banish the January blues than by instantly lifting the spirits with a feel-good movie and even Blue Monday is no match for our mood boosting top 10."
The top 10 uplifting films are:
1. Cool Runnings - 10%.
2. The Shawshank Redemption - 9%.
3. Forrest Gump - 8%.
4. Amelie - 7%.
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 6%.
6. Little Miss Sunshine - 5%.
7. Dirty Dancing - 4%.
8. Groundhog Day - 3%.
9. It's A Wonderful Life - 2%.
10. Pretty Woman - 1%.
Other - 45%.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes