Cool Runnings voted most heart-warming film off all time
Monday 21 January 2013
Olympic comedy Cool Runnings has been voted the most heart-warming film of all time, in a poll of film fans.
The movie, which starred John Candy and was based on the real-life exploits of the Jamaican bobsled team at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics, won 10% of the vote in the search for the best film to banish the new year blues.
Epic prison drama The Shawshank Redemption was second with 9% of the vote, followed by Forrest Gump which picked up 8%.
The top five was rounded off with Amelie, starring Audrey Tautou as the wide-eyed Parisian waitress, and the teen classic Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Other films in the top 10, put together after a survey of 3,000 people by streaming and DVD rental service LOVEFiLM, include Dirty Dancing, Groundhog Day and the Hollywood classic It's A Wonderful Life.
The company's editor Helen Cowley said: "There's no better way to banish the January blues than by instantly lifting the spirits with a feel-good movie and even Blue Monday is no match for our mood boosting top 10."
The top 10 uplifting films are:
1. Cool Runnings - 10%.
2. The Shawshank Redemption - 9%.
3. Forrest Gump - 8%.
4. Amelie - 7%.
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - 6%.
6. Little Miss Sunshine - 5%.
7. Dirty Dancing - 4%.
8. Groundhog Day - 3%.
9. It's A Wonderful Life - 2%.
10. Pretty Woman - 1%.
Other - 45%.
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Star Wars 7: George Lucas admits he hasn't seen The Force Awakens trailer
Star Wars: Rogue One trailer: Watch the teaser for the Jedi-less Death Star heist film
Avengers: Age of Ultron: 'After credits' scene leaks online
Kevin Spacey's successor at The Old Vic promises a more low-key approach
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate