'Dam Busters' dog renamed
Saturday 11 June 2011
The mascot of RAF 617 Squadron, a dog owned by Wing Commander Guy Gibson, is to have its name changed in a remake of the 1955 film The Dam Busters.
Stephen Fry, who is writing the screenplay for the new film about the wartime raids on German dams, said "Nigger" will become "Digger" to avoid offending modern audiences.
To mark Tolstoy's 186th birthdaybooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: New picture of Anastasia Steele revealed
From Berenice Abbott to Nadav Kander, the Barbican's architecture photography exhibition is an alternative history of modern man
X Factor 2014 review: Paul Akister performance spurs Cheryl Cole and Mel B into bizarre Simon Cowell lap dance
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Tyler, The Creator says having the new U2 album automatically downloaded on his iPhone was 'like waking up with herpes'
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly