Iron Man and The Avengers make Robert Downey Jr Hollywood's top earner
Gallery: Channing Tatum and Hugh Jackman come second and third respectively
Iron Man star Robert Downey Jr has been named Hollywood's highest-paid actor, earning an estimated $75 million dollars in the last year, according to Forbes.com.
The 48-year-old former bad boy starred in The Avengers in 2012 and Iron Man 3 in 2013, each of which earned more than $1 billion at the box office.
In at number two was Dear John star Channing Tatum. Tatum, 33, self-financed last year's stripper flick Magic Mike, based partly on his own experience as a male stripper. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, it made $167 million, and racked up estimated earnings of $60 million.
Downey Jr's fellow Marvel hero Hugh Jackman - best known as the clawed, self-healing mutant Wolverine in the X-Men franchise - came in third with an estimated $55 million last year. He also scored an Oscar nomination as Jean Valjean in last year's hit Les Miserables.
Last year, Tom Cruise, 51, topped the list with earnings of $75 million. This year, he dropped to eighth place with $35 million, gained largely from his international audience, Forbes said.
Forbes.com compiled the ranking and estimated earnings by talking to managers, producers and agents.
Forbes' list in full (Estimated earnings)
1. Robert Downey Jr. ($75 million)
2. Channing Tatum ($60 million)
3. Hugh Jackman ($55 million)
4. Mark Wahlberg ($52 million)
5. Dwayne Johnson ($46 million)
6. Leonardo DiCaprio ($39 million)
7. Adam Sandler ($37 million)
8. Tom Cruise ($35 million)
9. Denzel Washington ($33 million)
10. Liam Neeson ($32 million)
Video: Hugh Jackman on The Wolverine
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
lifeIt takes year-long dedication to get Selfridges ready for 25 December. And they're already working on plans for 2015...
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences, as judge labels him a 'dangerous sexual predator'
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber announces he's 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >