Iron Man and The Avengers make Robert Downey Jr Hollywood's top earner
Gallery: Channing Tatum and Hugh Jackman come second and third respectively
Iron Man star Robert Downey Jr has been named Hollywood's highest-paid actor, earning an estimated $75 million dollars in the last year, according to Forbes.com.
The 48-year-old former bad boy starred in The Avengers in 2012 and Iron Man 3 in 2013, each of which earned more than $1 billion at the box office.
In at number two was Dear John star Channing Tatum. Tatum, 33, self-financed last year's stripper flick Magic Mike, based partly on his own experience as a male stripper. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, it made $167 million, and racked up estimated earnings of $60 million.
Downey Jr's fellow Marvel hero Hugh Jackman - best known as the clawed, self-healing mutant Wolverine in the X-Men franchise - came in third with an estimated $55 million last year. He also scored an Oscar nomination as Jean Valjean in last year's hit Les Miserables.
Last year, Tom Cruise, 51, topped the list with earnings of $75 million. This year, he dropped to eighth place with $35 million, gained largely from his international audience, Forbes said.
Forbes.com compiled the ranking and estimated earnings by talking to managers, producers and agents.
Forbes' list in full (Estimated earnings)
1. Robert Downey Jr. ($75 million)
2. Channing Tatum ($60 million)
3. Hugh Jackman ($55 million)
4. Mark Wahlberg ($52 million)
5. Dwayne Johnson ($46 million)
6. Leonardo DiCaprio ($39 million)
7. Adam Sandler ($37 million)
8. Tom Cruise ($35 million)
9. Denzel Washington ($33 million)
10. Liam Neeson ($32 million)
Video: Hugh Jackman on The Wolverine
There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turningTV
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Rihanna 'nude photos' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 3 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since TV series ended in 2004
Downton Abbey series 5, episode 1, ITV, review: There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turning
Friends 20th anniversary: Six things we wouldn't have without influential comedy series
New Tricks: Dennis Waterman to leave drama after a decade of crime-solving
Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned PR disaster
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'