Iron Man and The Avengers make Robert Downey Jr Hollywood's top earner
Gallery: Channing Tatum and Hugh Jackman come second and third respectively
Iron Man star Robert Downey Jr has been named Hollywood's highest-paid actor, earning an estimated $75 million dollars in the last year, according to Forbes.com.
The 48-year-old former bad boy starred in The Avengers in 2012 and Iron Man 3 in 2013, each of which earned more than $1 billion at the box office.
In at number two was Dear John star Channing Tatum. Tatum, 33, self-financed last year's stripper flick Magic Mike, based partly on his own experience as a male stripper. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, it made $167 million, and racked up estimated earnings of $60 million.
Downey Jr's fellow Marvel hero Hugh Jackman - best known as the clawed, self-healing mutant Wolverine in the X-Men franchise - came in third with an estimated $55 million last year. He also scored an Oscar nomination as Jean Valjean in last year's hit Les Miserables.
Last year, Tom Cruise, 51, topped the list with earnings of $75 million. This year, he dropped to eighth place with $35 million, gained largely from his international audience, Forbes said.
Forbes.com compiled the ranking and estimated earnings by talking to managers, producers and agents.
Forbes' list in full (Estimated earnings)
1. Robert Downey Jr. ($75 million)
2. Channing Tatum ($60 million)
3. Hugh Jackman ($55 million)
4. Mark Wahlberg ($52 million)
5. Dwayne Johnson ($46 million)
6. Leonardo DiCaprio ($39 million)
7. Adam Sandler ($37 million)
8. Tom Cruise ($35 million)
9. Denzel Washington ($33 million)
10. Liam Neeson ($32 million)
Video: Hugh Jackman on The Wolverine
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Thrill of the chaste: The truth about Gandhi's sex life
Tom and Jerry cartoons now carry a 'racial prejudice' warning on Amazon
Great British Bake Off, semi-final, review: Richard remains the baker to beat as Chetna begins to flake
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
'Offensive' Banksy immigration mural in Clacton is scrubbed from wall by council
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Former Tory donor Arron Banks ups his Ukip donation to £1million following William Hague 'nobody' comment
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >