'Lazy' Dustin Hoffman inspired to direct another film
Tuesday 16 October 2012
Dustin Hoffman has revealed the "dreamlike" response to his directorial debut has inspired him to get behind the camera again.
The 75-year-old star was greeted by crowds of fans at the BFI London Film Festival premiere of Quartet, a British comedy about four elderly opera singers who are reunited in a specialist retirement home.
Asked why it had taken him so long to direct a film, Hoffman - who enlisted veteran actors Dame Maggie Smith, Pauline Collins, Billy Connolly and Sir Tom Courtenay for the film - quipped: "I'm lazy. No, I was just always frightened. I can give you the phone number of my therapist, she'll give you a better answer."
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
sportNapoli 2 Arsenal 0: Gunners must now face either Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona in knock-out stages
musicAs Mariah Carey and Noddy Holder rake in the royalties from their classics, why there hasn't been a decent festive hit for 20 years?
theatreAuthor Daniel Rosenthal recalls the mishaps that almost brought the curtain down on the likes of John Gielgud and Diana Rigg
lifeFull of the joys and want to help your fellow man? December isn't the time to do it
lifeAs the Royal Mail plans to phase out deliveries on two wheels, it's no wonder posties are in a spin
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >