Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill set for new film penned by Captain Phillips screenwriter Billy Ray
Oscar-nominated Billy Ray will write 'The Ballad of Richard Jewell' for Fox
Ray's script for The Ballad of Richard Jewell will be adapted from a Vanity Fair article by Marie Brenner about the security guard falsely vilified as the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bomber, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
In real-life, Jewell discovered the bomb-laden backpack, reported it and helped clear sports fans from the area before it exploded.
But just three days later, he was a terrorism suspect and the subject of an unrelenting media storm that wrongly assumed his guilt. As Jewell himself said, the papers were on him "like piranha on a bleeding cow" and he became a scapegoat.
DiCaprio and Hill will co-produce the Fox movie with Kevin Misher, Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Andy Berman.
Both actors starred in Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street, which lost out to 12 Years a Slave in this year's Best Picture category.
Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill in The Wolf of Wall Street DiCaprio was nominated for Best Actor with Hill up for Best Supporting Actor, but both lost to Dallas Buyers Club’s Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto respectively.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget