Marilyn Monroe dress stars in Hollywood sale
Saturday 18 June 2011
The star of the hit film Singin' in the Rain , Debbie Reynolds' is to sell off some of Hollywood's most famous frocks when part of her collection of movie memorabilia goes under the hammer in Beverly Hills today.
A monochrome Cecil Beaton-designed Ascot gown worn by Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, Barbara Streisand's beaded dress from Hello Dolly, and the headress worn by Dame Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra are just a few of the 600 star-studded lots which are set to fetch up to $10m (£6.2m).
But the star will be Marilyn Monroe's dress from the 1955 film Seven Year Itch, which famously billowed up over steam vents.
Debbie Reynolds is "heartbroken" to part with the items, but must sell them after having failed to get the necessary funding to put them in a museum.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories