Oblivion cruises to top of UK box office
Wednesday 17 April 2013
Tom Cruise vehicle Oblivion has landed safely at the top of
the UK box office taking £4.96 million at cinemas in Britain and Ireland.
The sci-fi action film directed by Joseph Kosinski stars the Mission Impossible actor as one of the few drone repairmen left on Earth after decades of war with alien Scavs.
Oblivion knocked The Croods into second place, despite the prehistoric animation having kept the top spot for three consecutive weeks previously. The film has taken a total of £22.7 million in Britain and Ireland since its release.
Another new entry to the top five was Scary Movie 5, starring Charlie Sheen, which gained third place with takings of £2 million.
Ryan Gosling movie The Place Beyond the Pines also made its debut in the top five with takings of £671,119.
Gi Joe: Retaliation took fifth place with £325,234.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland