On playing Margaret Thatcher: What the actresses thought of their formidable subject
'I was prepared to send her up, but not maliciously'- from Meryl Streep to Maureen Lipman we look at what actresses thought about playing Thatcher
Meryl Streep won an Oscar for the most recent portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady, but she follows in a long line of leading actresses who have played the former Prime Minister.
From Streep’s admiration of Thatcher, to Andrea Riseborough’s comments that she had “psychopathic tendencies”, we take a look at what actresses thought about the formidable character they portrayed.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 2 Three-quarters of Britons are saying it wrong - the top ten most common mispronunciations
- 3 Son attacks Apple after it refuses to unlock his late mother’s iPad
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 First Kiss video: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results