Sir Ian McKellen speaks of prostate cancer shock
Tuesday 11 December 2012
Sir Ian McKellen has told how he feared the worst when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.
The 73-year-old Lord Of The Rings and X-Men star has had the cancer for "six or seven years".
He told the Daily Mirror: "You do gulp when you hear the news. It's like when you go for an HIV test, you go 'Arghhh, is this the end of the road?'
"They say you have cancer of the prostate and then that you can have it zapped.
"You can have it snipped but you are not a candidate for that. You are waitful watching," the actor, who is also a campaigner for gay rights, told the newspaper.
Sir Ian, who reprises his role as Gandalf in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, added: "When you have got it you monitor it and you have to be careful it doesn't spread. But if it is contained in the prostate it's no big deal."
Arts & Ents blogs
The Independent Bath Literature Festival: 'Top Gear' makes Saudis look liberal, Kirsty Wark tells book festival
Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
Mad about the girl: The cult of Veronica Mars
Stewart Lee: Beware - this man may be only joking
Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
- 5 Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry