The Toy Story 4 theory about the true identity of Andy's mum is blowing minds
Theory attracted over 100,000 Facebook Likes in a day
Facebook was rocked by a widely-circulated theory that threatens to change our thinking forever today. Did it concern cancer? The mysteries of dark matter? Breaking Bad again? No, the true identity of Andy's Mom in the Toy Story films.
The idea was put forward by all-round Pixar expert Jon Negroni, building on his wider theory that all Pixar films exist within the same universe.
It has been asserted that Andy's mum is Emily, Jessie the cowgirl's former owner, and the theory goes like this:
1. Andy's hat looks different to Woody's
But why would he not want the very same hat as his favourite toy?
(All pictures: Pixar)
2. Because it is in fact a replica of Jessie's hat
Which we see below has the same white piping around the brim.
3. But Andy's hat doesn't have a circle of white ribbon like Jessie's?
No, but from the picture in Item 1 it looks to have fallen off, probably because it has been around for a few years.
[Emily explainer – She grew up much like Andy, in love with her doll (Jessie), before eventually giving her away and the toy winding up in storage, much to its horror.]
4. In a flashback what appears to be Andy's hat lies on Emily's bed
This probably took place before Andy was born.
5. When Emily put Jessie in the donation box, the hat wasn't inside.
Maybe she held on to it before passing it onto her child, whom she hoped would love a cowboy/girl doll as dearly as she did.
6. We never see Emily's face
But her hair looks to be very similar to the mum's.
7. We never hear Andy's mum's name
8. Emily would be about the right age in the films' present day to be Andy's mum
9. Both mother and son loved their toy, but forgot about it as they grew older, a similarity that could form the basis of the plot for a Toy Story 4?
Well done Jon Negroni, you must feel how The Claw does right now.
Film The critics but sneer but these unfashionable festive films are our favourites
TV We're so close to knowing what happened to Oliver Hughes, but a last-minute bluff crushes expectations
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Peter Lik: The self-proclaimed 'fine-art photographer' whose work sells for millions
The best underrated Christmas movies from Love, Actually to While You Were Sleeping
Grace Dent on TV: The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies was a beautifully shot, immensely considered drama
The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies, review: Jason Watkins is brilliant, but real victim Joanna Yeates is reduced to a footnote
Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking Lana Del Rey rape video
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits record low as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Germany sees 'visible rise' in support for far-right extremism in response to perceived 'Islamisation' of the West