The Toy Story 4 theory about the true identity of Andy's mum is blowing minds
Theory attracted over 100,000 Facebook Likes in a day
Facebook was rocked by a widely-circulated theory that threatens to change our thinking forever today. Did it concern cancer? The mysteries of dark matter? Breaking Bad again? No, the true identity of Andy's Mom in the Toy Story films.
The idea was put forward by all-round Pixar expert Jon Negroni, building on his wider theory that all Pixar films exist within the same universe.
It has been asserted that Andy's mum is Emily, Jessie the cowgirl's former owner, and the theory goes like this:
1. Andy's hat looks different to Woody's
But why would he not want the very same hat as his favourite toy?
(All pictures: Pixar)
2. Because it is in fact a replica of Jessie's hat
Which we see below has the same white piping around the brim.
3. But Andy's hat doesn't have a circle of white ribbon like Jessie's?
No, but from the picture in Item 1 it looks to have fallen off, probably because it has been around for a few years.
[Emily explainer – She grew up much like Andy, in love with her doll (Jessie), before eventually giving her away and the toy winding up in storage, much to its horror.]
4. In a flashback what appears to be Andy's hat lies on Emily's bed
This probably took place before Andy was born.
5. When Emily put Jessie in the donation box, the hat wasn't inside.
Maybe she held on to it before passing it onto her child, whom she hoped would love a cowboy/girl doll as dearly as she did.
6. We never see Emily's face
But her hair looks to be very similar to the mum's.
7. We never hear Andy's mum's name
8. Emily would be about the right age in the films' present day to be Andy's mum
9. Both mother and son loved their toy, but forgot about it as they grew older, a similarity that could form the basis of the plot for a Toy Story 4?
Well done Jon Negroni, you must feel how The Claw does right now.
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
- 5 Zayn Malik quits One Direction: Hundreds of workers request compassionate leave following band member's exit
Jeremy Clarkson to host BBC's Have I Got News For You despite Top Gear exit
A historian gave the most British look of despair when someone screwed up Richard III's birthday at his reburial
Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
Kay Burley 'bias' against Ed Miliband prompts 130 complaints to Ofcom
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'