A Thousand Times Good Night, film review: A heartfelt performance from Juliette Binoche
(15) Erik Poppe, 117 mins Starring: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Juliette Binoche
The former news photographer Erik Poppe's autobiographical drama features a heartfelt performance from Juliette Binoche as a traumatised war photographer, struggling to readjust to life back home with her husband and children.
The film opens brilliantly with a sequence reminiscent of the beginning of Orson Welles' Touch of Evil, in which see the photographer accompanying a suicide bomber in a car.
Nothing in the rest of the film quite matches its overture but this is a well-observed drama, which acknowledges the war photographer's selfishness as well as her courage and single-mindedness.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Thatcher ‘was warned of Tory child sex party claims’
- 4 Lauren Goodger sex tape: Reality star calls for tougher laws on revenge porn after intimate video leaks online
- 5 The Simpsons Family Guy trailer: First look at crossover episode after Comic-Con debut
Game of Thrones season 4 blooper reel unveiled at Comic-Con 2014
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral backlash from US parenting groups
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
50 best running songs: From Avicii and Pharrell Williams to the classic 'Eye of the Tiger'
Doctor Who series 8: Watch Peter Capaldi in new ‘Listen!’ teaser trailer
Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Opponents of Israel's military operation in Gaza are the real enemies of Middle Eastern peace
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia