A World Not Ours, film review: Poignant documentary about a traumatised community
(NC) Mahdi Fleifel, 93 mins
Mahdi Fleifel's poignant documentary about everyday life in Ain el-Hilweh, a Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon, offers a very different insight to that given in news reports.
He spent his childhood in the camp and knows its inhabitants intimately. He feels huge nostalgia for the time he spent there watching World Cup matches with his friends.
Unlike them, he is free to leave. They are in exile, entrapped, still yearning for the homeland their families lost in 1948.
"The old will die and the young will forget," runs a notorious quote cited here about the plight of the refugees.
In his portrayal of a scarred and traumatised community, Fleifel demonstrates that this is absolutely not the case.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Lynda Bellingham dead: Loose Women presenter dies after battle with colon cancer
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'