Advanced Style, film review
(PG) Lina Plioplyte, 72 mins
This documentary originated in a blog that the fashion photographer Ari Seth Cohen created about the fashion sense and daily lives of various older New York women. They are between the ages of “50 and death”, as one of his muses puts it. His initial reasons for following these women are somewhat nebulous.
He talks of a desire to “connect” again with his grandmother, to whom he was devoted. The women make tremendous subjects for a film – they are witty, flamboyant and creative but, thanks to their advanced years, have an obvious frailty about them. Together with the director, Lina Plioplyte, Cohen wins his subjects’ trust to the extent that he is allowed to film them cooking, performing yoga, putting on make-up or even being just a bit catty about one another. Fashion docs are often shallow in the extreme but this one is as much about fighting back against the ravages of time as it is about air kissing – and is all the stronger as a result.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments