Also showing: Free Men, Tales of the Night, Personal Best and Barbaric Genius
Sunday 27 May 2012
Free Men (99 mins, 12A)
A black-marketeer (Tahar Rahim) discovers that Paris's Algerian Muslims are aiding the French Resistance. It's an amazing true story, but Free Men doesn't have the flair, or the budget, to do it justice.
Tales of the Night (84 mins, PG
Michel Ocelot (Kirikou and the Sorceress), a French animator who specialises in silhouettes, returns with a lovely portmanteau of six international fairy tales.
Personal Best (85 mins, 12A)
Documentary about three British sprinters who are training to compete in this summer's Olympics. For a film about running, it doesn't move very quickly.
Barbaric Genius (72 mins)
A profile of John Healy, a homeless alcoholic who became a literary sensation with his autobiography, The Grass Arena, only to vanish soon afterwards. It's touching, but leaves too many questions unanswered.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she "lied" to husband about failed drugs tests
What are the worst 'Word Crimes'?
Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
Noel Fielding's 'Luxury Comedy': A land of the outright bizarre
Can Secret Cinema sell 80,000 'Back to the Future' tickets?
Star Wars 7: Plot details 'leak', with sequel's opening sequence and premise revealed
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains