Beauty and the Beast 3D (U)
Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise, 84mins. Voices: Paige O'Hara, Robby Benson
Even with a 3D brush-up, this 1991 Disney cartoon looks remarkably innocent after the advances in digimation over the last 20 years. And yet its charm and energy are quite undimmed: it's a minor classic of the genre.
The fairytale has been tweaked a little, so that Beauty is now a feisty, bookish lass named Belle and the Beast looks like the Lion King crossed with a warthog.
Once the story switches to the Beast's castle and the delightfully eccentric serving staff the film takes wing, kept aloft by a stunning visual wit and a handful of fine songs (by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken), none better than the title track sung, magnificently, by Angela Lansbury.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 President Obama comments on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Star Wars: New action dolls launched on Force Friday ahead of The Force Awakens release
First Look at Bryan Cranston transformed into LBJ for HBO’s ‘All the Way’ film
The real reason Eddie Redmayne was cast as a trans woman in The Danish Girl
Photographer captures the beauty and intensity of his girlfriend giving birth at home
Jamie’s Sugar Rush, TV review: Defeated by school dinners, Oliver takes on a new enemy
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up