Captain America: The Winter Soldier, film review: A shake-up for Marvel's big Boy Scout
(12A) Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, 136 mins Starring: Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Robert Redford, Samuel L Jackson
Marvel movies are... Marvel movies. Captain America is a superhero in a spandex costume who uses his shield as if it is some lethal make of frisbee.
We know from the outset that the film will be full of elaborately choreographed, wham! bam! 3D action sequences.
What's refreshing here is that the directors, the Russo brothers, and their screenwriters, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, treat the hero (Chris Evans) as if he is an anguished character in a real drama, not just a pantomime figure in a souped-up, big-screen version of a WWE bout.
The script plays heavily on Captain America's past, his Second World War experiences and his status as an all-American hero in a quasi-fascist modern US society in which democracy itself is frowned on.
It helps that the film has such a rich array of supporting characters.
From Scarlett Johansson's wonderfully sultry femme fatale Black Widow to Robert Redford's self-satisfied politician and Samuel L Jackson's tough and sardonic Nick Fury, the film benefits from performances that combine camp with conviction.
Captain America: The Winter Solider is in cinemas now
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict