Diary of a Wimpy Kid (PG)
Friday 27 August 2010
This family comedy is based on an illustrated novel which has sold – grim news – 28 million copies.
It's about the struggle of a "wimpy" pre-teen (Zachary Gordon) desperate to be the most popular pupil in middle-school, and doomed to fail. Why? Well, it could be to do with his being spoilt, conceited, sneaky, ignorant and disloyal to the only boy (Robert Capron) willing to be his friend. Yet the spectacle of the cocky little squit being humbled time and again affords no enjoyment, no laughs, not even a coherent "message". One for the kids, if they're really misbehaving.
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Bob Dylan's 'going electric' guitar from Newport Folk Festival sells for nearly $1m
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >