Dog Pound (18)
Friday 27 August 2010
The ghost of Alan Clarke's Scum makes its presence felt in this lowering tale of a youth correctional facility in the American Midwest.
It follows the unenviable "progress" of three new arrivals at the penitentiary – Butch (Adam Butcher), Davis (Shane Kippel), and Angel (Mateo Morales) – where hostility seems almost a constituent of the air they breathe. The film focuses most intensely on Butch, a wiry loner with a hair-trigger temper; when he takes a savage beating at the hands of the ward bully (Taylor Poulin) the countdown begins to Butch's release from solitary and his equally vicious revenge. The director and co-writer Kim Chapiron doesn't flinch from the problems of institutionalised violence and the madness of locking up small-time offenders with the hardcore, yet he's not unsympathetic either to the prison staff faced with the job of managing a near-impossible system. The portrait of a guard (Lawrence Bayne) with anger issues of his own suggests that decency and humanity haven't been entirely scoured from the service. All the same, it's a tough watch, and a dispiriting one.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures