DVD & Blu-ray review: The Colditz Story (U) Guy Hamilton (93mins)
Saturday 08 December 2012
"There will be no escape unless you wish to die," explains Anton Diffring's humourless German officer in this stirring true tale of Allied PoWs (including John Mills and Lionel Jeffries) who, of course, plan to break out of the daunting fortress of Colditz Castle, home to the most persistent escapees.
A nicely executed tale of British pluck from 1955 – but not a patch on John Sturges's The Great Escape.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 3 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
- 4 Why you're almost certainly more like your father than your mother
- 5 Westboro Baptist Church couldn't picket Leonard Nimoy's funeral because they didn't know where it was
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Nigel Farage promises Ukip will not 'stigmatise' would-be migrants – and says he wants 'everyone to speak the same language'
Ex-head of MI6: 'We shouldn't kid ourselves that Russia is on a path to democracy'
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests