DVD & Blu-ray review: The Newsroom: Series 1 (15)
Various directors DVD/Blu-ray
Friday 26 July 2013
“You're a smart, intelligent guy who isn't very nice,” snaps an unctuous reporter at Jeff Daniel's anchorman, Will McAvoy, in Aaron Sorkin's hectoring, (very) fast-talking look at how a fictional cable news show handles real events – the Tea Party, the BP Deepwater Horizon spill etc. Sorkin's mainly furious about the dumbing down of the Fourth Estate, but this lacks the wit and character depth of, say, Broadcast News, The Hour and Lou Grant. However, stick with it and you'll get the same sort of pleasure you'd get from Ally McBeal or LA Law.
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Green Party Caroline Lucas interview: 'We could be on the edge of something very big'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Strictly Come Dancing results: Steve Backshall sent home after dance off with Sunetra Sarker
Iggy Azalea responds to Eminem rape lyrics: 'I'm bored of old men threatening young women'
Why are the words 'mongol', 'mongoloid' and 'mongy' still bandied about as insults?
Tom DeLonge compares streaming music to killing elephants
Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked clip of Lana Del Rey rape video
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Green Party Caroline Lucas interview: 'We could be on the edge of something very big'