DVD & Blu-ray review: Time Bandits (PG)
Terry Gillian Blu-ray (116mins)
Friday 23 August 2013
Terry Gillian's absurdly inventive, visually arresting fantasy from 1981 centres on six venal dwarves travelling through time, accompanied by an earnest little boy (Craig Warnock), pilfering from the likes of Napoleon (Ian Holm) and Agamemnon (Sean Connery).
It's messy, slightly headache-inducing with very broad humour, like all of Gilliam's work, but it's also fiercely energetic and John Cleese is a highlight as a disingenuous Robin Hood.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 This is what happens when you tattoo Charmander on yourself, drunk, and with no experience
- 2 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer has leaked – watch
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'