DVD: Archipelago (15)
Friday 06 May 2011
"Don't be so nice," Cynthia berates her drippy brother, Edward (Tom Hiddleston), when he volunteers to sleep in the attic room at his family's holiday home on the Scilly Isle of Tresco.
Ed gets it in the neck throughout Joanna Hogg's often excruciating (particularly the dinner scenes) look at a glum, upper-middle-class family unit. The trio wait for the boorish dad ("I don't think Will is very strong on imagination") to turn up. He never does, so they snipe and paint while Ed flirts weakly with the cook. In contrast, the women patronise the "help": "How clever you are", they tell her. Hogg's courageously slow-paced drama is gloomy and, on reflection, rather brilliant.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
Game of Thrones really doesn't want Danny Dyer - EastEnders star rejected three times
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
The secret joke hidden in Silence of the Lambs' most famous line
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures