DVD: Archipelago (15)
Friday 06 May 2011
"Don't be so nice," Cynthia berates her drippy brother, Edward (Tom Hiddleston), when he volunteers to sleep in the attic room at his family's holiday home on the Scilly Isle of Tresco.
Ed gets it in the neck throughout Joanna Hogg's often excruciating (particularly the dinner scenes) look at a glum, upper-middle-class family unit. The trio wait for the boorish dad ("I don't think Will is very strong on imagination") to turn up. He never does, so they snipe and paint while Ed flirts weakly with the cook. In contrast, the women patronise the "help": "How clever you are", they tell her. Hogg's courageously slow-paced drama is gloomy and, on reflection, rather brilliant.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture