DVD: Brothers (15)
Friday 28 May 2010
"Why couldn't you just stay dead!" is the last thing Tobey Maguire's "war hero", Sam, needs to hear from his daughter when he returns from hell in Afghanistan.
The decorated marine has come back damaged; mentally tortured by a ghastly act he was forced to perpetuate while held by the Taliban. Worse still, his family believe he was killed in action, so his wife (Natalie Portman) and two daughters have cosied up to Sam's wayward, fresh-out-of-prison brother, Tommy (Jake Gyllenhaal). Jim Sheridan's intense drama benefits from three committed central performances and a scene-stealing turn from Sam Shepard, as the brothers' abrasive father.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action