DVD: Charlie St Cloud (12)
Friday 04 February 2011
To millions of teenagers, Zac Efron means just one thing: High School Musical, in which he plays Troy Bolton, East High School heartthrob.
This represents his attempt to make the move into adult roles. Does he succeed? Partially. His character is not so radically different that we have difficulty believing in him. The problem here is the rest of the film: based on a Ben Sherwood novel, the plot revolves around our hero's struggle to keep his brother's memory alive with the help of a ritualistic baseball practice. When a girl enters his life, he's forced to choose between the two. It's clichéd and sentimental, rather than genuinely moving.
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 Wikipedia edits from inside Parliament removing scandals from MPs' pages, investigation finds
- 3 Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
- 4 Johnny Depp facing 10 years in jail for illegally bringing dogs to Australia
- 5 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
Stolen Instagram photo sells for $90,000
Glastonbury lineup 2015: The Women's Institute to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
12 UK stores that sound like the hottest rappers of 2015
Suicide Squad: leaked footage gives us first look at Batmobile chasing Joker through city streets
Never Mind the Buzzcocks axed after 18 years
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote