DVD: Conan the Barbarian (15)
Friday 16 December 2011
This "update" of Robert E Howard's Cimarron has loads of fighting, flexed pecs and twirling swords, but little lamentation of the women, virtually zero mythology and no Arnold Schwarzenegger.
In John Milius's 1982 film, Ahnuld was delightfully stupid-but-tough as the future-king; in Texas Chainsaw remaker Marcus Nispel's videogame blur, Jason Momoa (Game of Thrones) glowers nicely but has a touch of Zoolander about him. The plot is beyond simple: Conan wants revenge on pompous Stephen Lang for killing his dad. There's black magic (sorceress Rose McGowan) amid the CGI scenery, but the constant bloodletting is draining.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 2 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 3 Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson criticised for beer tweet
- 4 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 5 The bubble bursts for Sodastream
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything