DVD: Country Strong (12)
Friday 15 July 2011
Gwyneth Paltrow makes the most unconvincing substance abuser since Zammo took up cocaine in Grange Hill in this hokey tale of achy-breaky hearts in the land of country and western.
Paltrow's sozzled Nashville singer, Kelly, encounters a young crooning cowboy in rehab and demands, to her husband/manager Ed (Tim McGraw), that the young buck support her on her comeback tour. Which he does, along with a fiercely ambitious young singer (Leighton Meester). Relationship turmoil ensues. Paltrow doesn't disgrace herself with her singing, but her inability to stop sobbing in almost every scene sinks this mawkish melodrama. Just say no...
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians