DVD: Married Life (PG)
Friday 23 January 2009
Harry Allen (Chris Cooper), a middle-aged businessman, is having an affair with the beautiful young widow Kay (Rachel McAdams), but decides he can't leave his wife because of the unhappiness it would cause her.
Instead, he decides that the kindest thing to do is kill her. Yet he has reckoned without his best friend, playboy Richard Langley (Pierce Brosnan), who also has his eye on Kay. Set at the end of the 1940s, the film looks wonderful and has some nice performances, especially from Cooper and Patricia Clarkson playing his wife. McAdams also acquits herself admirably, but Brosnan's under-written character never really convinces. None the less, with enough twists about it to keep you going and a script that at times is darkly comic, Married Life is an intriguing and unusual study of marriage gone wrong.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 4 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Celebrity Big Brother 2014 contestants: Meet Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict