DVD: The Spy Next Door (PG)
Friday 30 July 2010
"You make me laugh," Amber Valetta's Gillian tells Bob, Jackie Chan's prim pen salesman. Only Bob's really an international spy and he's not funny in the slightest.
And neither is this dreary effort. Chan's shtick, of course, is to leap a lot and chop down rogues. But, aged 55, there's precious little chopping and leaping going on in this tired children's caper. Bob's on the verge of retiring from the spy game (of course he is) and wants to settle down with Gillian. The snag is that her three moppets hate him – they think he's "a drone". When, somewhat irresponsibly, Gillian sods off to look after her sick dad, she leaves her brats with Bob and they (very slowly) learn the truth.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government