Film review: A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman (15)
This animated "biopic" of former "Python" Chapman is a frustrating endeavour. It is narrated from beyond the grave by Chapman (who died in 1989) himself. (He had recorded an audio version of his memoirs.)
Although the film gives us a strong sense of Chapman's quixotic personality, the storytelling is wayward and impressionistic. Chapman is a funny but extremely unreliable narrator. We get little of the context or detail that might have been found in a documentary. Nor is there much sense of drama.
Everything about the film, from the different styles of animation to Chapman's narration, is anarchic and chaotic. There are some glorious moments along the way (Chapman holding forth on sex or evoking his early wartime childhood in surrealistic fashion) but also some very insipid and baffling ones.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 4 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 5 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
London Has Fallen trailer branded 'extremely insensitive' ahead of 10th anniversary of 7/7 bombings
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture