Film review: Austenland (12A)
Jerusha Hess, 97mins. Starring: Keri Russell
The parasitic industry that has glommed on to the achievements of our greatest novelist plunges further into disgrace. Austenland is a squashed fairycake that not even the staunchest Janeite should touch.
Keri Russell plays Jane, a lonesome thirtysomething whose obsession with her namesake of 200 years ago prompts her to cross the Atlantic for a vacation at the titular English resort.
It's a "fully immersive" experience in which actors dress up as Regency bucks to titillate female holidaymakers besotted with the idea of catching a Mr Darcy.
The contrast between modern banalities and the genteel manners of yesteryear has comic potential, but it would require a subtler talent than writer-director Jerusha Hess's to make it work.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor 'wheel on people who have mental health problems' says comedian Jo Brand
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
Orange Is The New Black season 3: Pornstache isn't coming back
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains