Film review: Child's Pose (15)
Calin Peter Netzer, 112mins. Starring: Luminita Gheorghiu, Bogdan Dumitrache
Thursday 31 October 2013
The latest offering from the Romanian New Wave is a about a wealthy mother trying to bail out her wastrel son after he kills a teenage boy in a car accident.
In her fur coat and with a cigarette in her hand, Cornelia (brilliantly played by Luminita Gheorghiu) has a touch of Cruella de Vil about her. She is ready to bribe, charm and beg to get her son off.
Razvan Radulescu's screenplay is rich in irony and reversals, highlighting tensions between generations, and between the wealthy elite and the people whose lives are blighted by the elite's unthinking behaviour and desperation to cling to its status.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportThe coach of Chalfont St Peter's under-10s football team was relieved of his duties after he sent an email to parents that said: 'I am only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
indybestMake getting out of the wrong side of bed on cold winter mornings a thing of the past with our selection of night-time covers
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do